Erkenwald Campus

Frequently asked questions

General information

How is my child referred to Erkenwald Campus?

Most referrals are received directly from schools in the London Borough of Barking and Dagenham. The Senior Leadership Team at Mayesbrook Park School then assesses these referrals to ensure that it is the right place to help the child. If you are concerned that your child’s attendance at their current school is low due to problems with anxiety, depression or bullying, then ask the attendance officer, SENCO or leadership staff there for advice.

What are the hours of the school day?

We are mindful that many of our students find it difficult to travel on buses, particularly during rush hour, so our hours are 8.50am to 2.50pm on Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. On Tuesdays and Fridays, we finish at 2.30pm to allow time for staff meetings. We have a Breakfast Club from 8.30am each morning.

How does a day at Erkenwald differ from a mainstream school?

Erkenwald Campus is just like a small school and so the school day is structured in a similar way.

Is there a school uniform and where can I buy it?

There is a school uniform, and it is easily obtained from local supermarkets and high-street stores. Parents/carers will be given a uniform list at their child’s intake meeting.

Who can I speak to about financial assistance for school trips and/or school uniform?

Please contact Jill Kitchener, the office staff or Tracy Evans, our Family Support Professional, if you are experiencing financial difficulties.  

Is my child allowed to have their phone in school?

If your child brings their phone to school, it must be handed into the headteacher or placed in a box in reception. Students may use their phones in an emergency by visiting the office staff and politely asking to make an urgent phone call. At all times, lessons should not be disrupted by the use of phones in class. Phones may be confiscated if they are not handed in.

What sort of after-school clubs and activities are offered?

For more details of our enrichment activities, visit our enrichment page. We also offer after-school revision and homework clubs.

Is there anyone in the school who can translate for me?

We do have members of staff who can speak languages other than English but we are also able to employ a translator if the need arises.

School meals

How do I apply for my child to have free school meals?

Your initial information pack will describe how you can apply online for free school meals.

How can I pay for my child’s school meals?

You can pay either on a daily or weekly basis at the office window.

Can my child bring a packed lunch to school?

Yes, students can bring in their own food. For advice on healthy packed lunches, click here

What is available for lunch?

We have a selection of hot and cold food available for students to order in the mornings. The meals come from nearby Jo Richardson Community School.

Is there a Breakfast Club?

Our free Breakfast Club is available from 8.30am each school-day morning.

Health and welfare

What should I do if my child needs prescribed medication during the school day?

As long as the medicine has the student’s and the prescribing doctor’s names on the box or container, then the campus will allow the student to self-medicate.

Who should I contact if I have a complaint or problem?

Contact the Headteacher, Jill Kitchener. However, if the complaint is about Jill, please contact Annie Blackmore, her line manager and Executive Head of Mayesbrook Park School, and the Chair of Governors.

Who should I contact if my child is off sick or has a doctor’s appointment? Do I call need to call in every day my child is off sick or just on the first day?

Yes, you need to call us on a daily basis to inform us of your child’s illness, as we are an attendance campus. It’s useful if you can let us know when you are expecting your child to return to school.

What should I do if my child is late for school?

Bring your child in anyway. If your child arrives after 9.15am, their attendance will be reduced to 50% for the day. Where possible, liaise with the office staff so that they can register your child when they arrive for lunch and mark them in a register.

What should I do if my child is being bullied?

We take bullying very seriously at our campus; persistent bullies have lost their place at Erkenwald in the past. We do not accept bullying at our school and you can read more about this in our anti-bullying policy.

Can I take my child out of school for a holiday during term time?

Parents can be fined for taking their child out of school to go on holiday. There are some exceptions, so please speak to the Headteacher, Jill Kitchener, in the first instance.

What happens if my child has a detention after school?

It is unusual for our students to be kept behind after school. If your child has a detention, we will call or email you.

How can I get involved in the life of the campus?

We hold termly events raising funds for a variety of charities, and your input and attendance would be welcome. Upcoming events are listed on our campus calendar.


How can I find out how my child is doing at Erkenwald?

We will report to you on your child’s progress every half term. You can make an appointment through the school office to meet with the  headteacher, Jill Kitchener, after school to discuss any other issues.

Can my child do GCSEs at Erkenwald?

Our students take GCSE exams, as appropriate, in the following subjects; Maths, English, Sociology, IT and Science. More able students also take English Language, while others take Functional Skills qualifications in English and Maths.

What additional educational support can my child receive?

On joining us, your child will be assessed for baseline levels. This will ensure your child receives appropriate interventions if they are not able to cope, as well as work that is tailored to their learning needs and interests. Your child may be withdrawn from class for booster sessions and will have access to a Learning Support Professional.

Does my child have to take part in Physical Education classes?

Yes, unless they have a medical condition that states they must not do PE. Access to Physical Education is a set requirement by the government. We are mindful that some students have been bullied during PE lessons and so we allow students to join in with PE and sport when they feel secure.

Does the school follow the national curriculum?

We loosely follow the National Curriculum.

What happens if my child misses an exam?

If your child misses an exam, the headteacher will apply for their teacher-assessed result to be used instead so that they will obtain a GCSE grade. If they arrive late, they will be given extra time to complete the paper.

Will I get a copy of my child’s timetable?

Yes, you will receive one when they join us.

Will my child get to do work experience?

Our Year 11 students always complete a work experience placement in November and then return to Erkenwald Campus to complete their GCSEs.

Can my child go to college?

In some cases, a student will attend college or a work placement, or take a GCSE in a mainstream school, as well as attending Erkenwald Campus for GCSEs.