Mayesbrook Park Campus

Frequently asked questions

General information

How does my child get referred to Mayesbrook Park Campus?
A student is referred to our campus if they have been excluded permanently or for a fixed term from their mainstream school, they are at risk of exclusion or they have no school place and have had difficulties in a previous school.

What are the hours of the school day?
The school day starts at 8.30am with Breakfast Club. Lessons are from 8.45am to 2.45pm, and detentions and after-school clubs run from 2.45pm until 3.30pm.

How is the school day at Mayesbrook Park different from a mainstream school?
The day is very similar to that of a mainstream school, as we follow a timetable and students move from lesson to lesson. The curriculum is also similar but with slightly fewer subjects on offer.

Is there a school uniform, and where can I buy it?
The school uniform is black trousers or skirt, a plain white shirt or T-shirt, a plain black jumper or cardigan (no hoodies) and plain black trainers/shoes. These can be bought from any high-street shop or supermarket.

Who can I speak to about financial assistance for school trips?
We rarely charge for any trips but, if parents need help to fund a trip, please contact the campus office on 020 8270 6000 and ask to speak to Laura Ellis or Katy Waite.

Is my child allowed to have their phone in school?
Your child can bring their phone but it must be handed in and kept in their locker during school hours. It will be returned to them when they leave the school site.

What sort of after-school clubs/activities are offered?
Currently, after-school clubs are limited to circuit training on Wednesdays and Fridays, 2.45pm to 3.30pm. More subject-based clubs and revision classes will be in place later in the year, and your child will be notified about these.

Is there anyone at the school who can translate for me?
Some of our staff speak languages other than English, but if we have advanced notice then we can often get support from other agencies.

School meals

How do I apply for my child to have free school meals?
Free school meals applications can be made online on the London Borough of Dagenham and Barking website or at Dagenham Library, 1 Church Elm Lane, Dagenham RM10 9QS.

How can I pay for my child’s school meals?
Meals can be paid for on a daily basis or in advance at the school office. The current cost is £2.30 for a full meal.

Can my child take a packed lunch to school?
Yes, but we advise you to think about a healthy diet and not to include sweets, and fizzy or sugary drinks. Bottled drinks are not permitted on-site, but water is available. For more advice on healthy packed lunches, click here.

What is available for lunch?
There is a varied menu, which always includes a hot option plus cold options of sandwiches and baguettes.

Is there a Breakfast Club?
There is a free Breakfast Club at the school from 8.30am every day, which offers hot and cold options.

Health and welfare

What should I do if my child needs prescribed medication during the school day?
If medicine is prescribed and brought in to the school office in its original packaging, we can help children to administer it themselves, as appropriate.

Who should I contact if I have a complaint or a problem?
Complaints should be addressed to Cathy Stygal, Headteacher, via the main office on 020 8270 6000 or

Who should I contact if my child is off sick or has a doctor’s appointment?
If your child is absent, you should call the school on 020 8270 6000 at the start of the day. If your child has a planned medical appointment, please inform the office in advance of the appointment.

What should I do if my child is late for school?
If your child is going to be late, please contact the office as soon as possible to let us know.

What should I do if my child is being bullied?
If your child is being bullied, contact one of the senior team via the office and they will look into the issue as soon as possible. Remind your child that they can speak to an adult at any time if they have something that is upsetting them.

Can I take my child out of school for a holiday during term time?
No. Unauthorised absences for holidays in term time are not allowed and could lead to a fine for parents.

What happens if my child has a detention after school?
Your child may get a detention between 2.45pm and 3.30pm and, where possible, we will inform you if this is the case.

How can I get involved in the life of the school?
If you are interested in helping/volunteering, contact the Headteacher via the main office. There are sometimes parent governor vacancies and these will be advertised on the website.


How can I find out how my child is doing at school?
You can contact the office and we will arrange for a senior member of staff to call you to discuss your child’s progress. We will be sending out regular progress reports after assessments throughout the year.

Can my child do GCSEs at the school?
Your child can study for at least six GCSEs and often more depending on when they arrive at the school and whether they have studied subjects previously.

What additional support will my child receive?
There is additional staff support for the majority of lessons, and we also have mentors and a school counsellor. Students are also targeted for extra sessions to help improve their literacy and numeracy. Year 11 students can attend extra lessons after school and will receive revision packs for each subject.

Does my child have to take part in Physical Education classes?
Yes, PE is a compulsory part of the curriculum and helps students to maintain a healthy lifestyle.

Does the school follow the national curriculum?
We follow the core curriculum of English, Maths and Science, and cover a number of other subjects.

What happens if my child misses an exam?
If your child misses an exam, they will not be able to retake it. If there is a medical reason for their absence, then they can get a note from the doctor which can be submitted to the exam board as evidence, and it may be taken into consideration.

Can I get a copy of my child’s timetable?
If you require a copy of the timetable, please contact the office.

Will my child get the chance to do work experience?
Occasionally, we are able to organise work experience for on-site students, and those on vocational programmes off-site may have this as part of their offer.

Can my child go to college?
There are a limited number of places each year for students who wish to go to college to attend a vocational course. This can be discussed with senior staff if your child is interested.